Support the LB businesses you see here:

Joe Sopo
Joe Sopo, Realtor has his pulse On LB. real estate. Click for info
.
Carter Wood Floor pic
Carter Wood Floors, a LB company, will restore your wood floor or install a new one. Enhance your home. Click pic.

Armor
Pollman's Insurance. Smarter Protection For Today's Risks. Click for info.

Lovelace pic
Bill Lovelace. LB DJ now has 21,000+ songs on computer for instant requests at your event! Click pic for more info.

Mike & Kathi Kowal
Mike & Kathi Kowal know Los Cerritos, Bixby Knolls, Cal Hts. and beyond. Click to learn more

NetKontent
NetKontent Digital Video Cutting Edge Services For The Internet, Broadcast and Multimedia. Click For Info


Ninos's Ristorante: A delicious treasure in Bixby Knolls. Click here if you're hungry or for catering!
3853 Atlantic Ave.

Your E-Mail
Click here

  • Neighborhood Groups/Meetings
  • How To Recall a LB Elected Official
  • Crime Data
  • City Council Agendas
  • Port of LB Agendas
  • E-Mail Your Council member
  • Council District Map
  • LB Parks, Recd & Marine
  • LB Schools
  • LB Airport Watchdog
  • Sacramento
  • Washington
  • References & Archives
  • Lost, Found & Adoptable Pets
  • LBReport.com

    News

    Aug. 20: LB Has Three Human West Nile Cases, NOT Fatalities


    (August 20, 2004) -- LBReport.com has learned that there are three current confirmed cases of people with the mosquito-borne West Nile Virus (WNV) in the City of Long Beach.

    The cases are not fatalities; they're alive.

    The current case total was confirmed for LBReport.com by LB Acting Health Officer, Dr. Helene Calvet. Further details were unavailable.

    LB has had a fourth case, an 88 year old woman who succumbed to the disease on August 9...one of six deaths in CA to date (the most recent a Pico Rivera man).

    Authorities say roughly 80% of people bitten by a West Nile Virus infected mosquito won't display symptoms. Of the remaining 15-20%, some develop what are described as flu-like symptoms. Authorities say overall roughly 1 in 150 people bitten by a WNV-infected mosquito may develop serious neuroinvasive illnesses (encephalitis or meningitis).

    The CA Dept. of Health Services reports:

    As of August 20, 2004 , a total of 249 WNV infections have been reported from the following local health jurisdictions: San Bernardino (96), Los Angeles (81), Riverside (51), Orange (8), Imperial (1), Kern (4), Fresno (2), Tulare (1), Ventura (1), Butte (1), Lassen (1), Merced (1), and Yolo (1) counties.

    Sixteen of these WNV infections were initially detected in asymptomatic individuals through screening done at blood banks- one of these individuals later became symptomatic. Of the 234 WNV cases with symptoms, 97 are classified as West Nile fever cases, 93 are classified as West Nile neuroinvasive disease, and 44 are of unknown status.

    The median age for all cases where data was available = 51 years (range: 2 91 years). Median age for West Nile fever cases = 46 years (range: 9 84 years). Median age for West Nile neuroinvasive disease cases = 59 years (range: 15 91 years). 149/234 (64%) of the cases are male.

    There have been six fatalities to date in California in Orange (1), San Bernardino (2) and Los Angeles (3) counties.

    The CA Dept. of Health Services says WNV has now been detected in 48 of CA's 58 Counties.


    Return To Front Page

    Contact us: mail@LBReport.com

     


    Copyright © 2004 LBReport.com, LLC. All rights reserved. Terms of Use/Legal policy, click here. Privacy Policy, click here