First On LBReport.com
We Name Contributors -- Including Some BIG Spenders Inside & Outside LB -- Bankrolling Political Committee To Influence LB Voters To Approve Mayor/Council Bundled/Backed Props A-G
(March 28, 2007) -- LBReport.com has learned that a political committee has been formed and has raised nearly $110,000 as of March 17 -- some in major amounts of $15,000, $10,000, $5,000, $2,500, $1,500 and $1,000...with significant chunks from outside LB -- to influence LB voters to support Mayor/City Council-bundled and backed Propositions A-G on the May 1 ballot.
In the public interest, LBReport.com posts the information online...where until now it has not been available online.
"Citizens for an Effective Charter: Yes on Props A, B, C, D, E, F & G" did file two timely campaign contribution reports to date in hard copy form...but the information hasn't been accessible on the City Clerk's web site. City Clerk election specialist Virginia Galetta told LBReport.com that the Committee in fact been trying to upload the data to the Clerk's web site but has encountered technical difficulties.
LBReport.com requested the information in hard copy form and it was promptly provided. We post salient contributions below (with descriptions are as listed in the filed reports and explanatory bracketed text by us):
|AECOM Tech Corp|
|City Light & Power|
|R. Hall Investment Properties|
|Recreational Vehicle Storage Associates, LLC|
|Samuel A, Keesal, Jr.|
Att'y Keesal, Young & Logan
|Signal Hill Petroleum, Inc.|
|Stone & Youngberg|
|Compulink Mgmt Center, Inc.|
Owner SDD Enterprises
|Volt Management Corp|
|G & C Equipment Corp.|
Gardena [same address as preceding contributor]
[Member, LB Planning Comm']
Community Volunteer, Long Beach
|Matson Navigation Co. & Subsidiaries|
Executive, Alpert & Alpert Iron & Metal Inc., LB
Comm'l Real estate Broker
Cushman & Wakefield
|Upma Budhraja, Los Angeles|
CPA, WHY Advisor
|Vikram Budhraja, Los Angeles|
Engineer, Electric Power Group LLC
Regional President, The Olson Co.
Retired [former Vice Mayor/Councilman]
|Gordon Forester, Jr.|
Signal Hill Councilmember
The Committee lists an expenditure of $20,590 to Fairbank, Maslin, Maulin & Associates...the same firm that LB city management used (at taxpayer expense) to conduct polling to gauge LB public opinion in 2005-06 toward a possible parcel property tax or sales tax ballot measure (proposed for police and/or library purposes). (The Council ultimately declined to put such measures on the ballot at that time.)
"Citizens for an Effective Charter" reported cash on hand of $87,016 as of March 17...but that sum may be depleted somewhat by what appears to be a TV ad blitz launched on Charter Cable with thirty second spots featuring LB Mayor Bob Foster (separate coverage on LBReport.com).
The City Charter Amendments, placed on a special May 1, 2007 citywide ballot by a Council majority (Councilwoman Schipske dissenting) and backed by Mayor Bob Foster are:
- Prop A -- gives the Mayor a line-item budget veto, a stronger veto overall and broader Mayoral/Council removal power over Commission members (including the Harbor Comm').
- Prop B - creates a City Hall-chosen "salary commission" with the power to raise City Council salaries to full time levels without requiring full time work and without an accountable vote of the Council. Measure is bundled with creation of an advisory "Ethics Commission."
- Prop C -- lets incumbent Councilmembers seek a third term before term limit restrictions apply (currently two terms)
- Prop D -- lets term-limited Councilmembers' names to be printed on the ballot in a runoff if the candidate qualifies in a primary.
- Prop E -- lets City Hall take park land for non-park purposes without a vote of the people as long as the City Council approves creating additional park land (two for one) at another location
- Prop F -- removes City Prosecutor's duty to prosecute hearings before the Civil Service Commission
- Prop G -- removes outdated Charter provisions
A separate measure, Prop H, would increase the fee received by City Hall paid by firms extracting oil from LB, with the revenue going for public safety purposes.
Return To Front Page
Contact us: mail@LBReport.com
Cold/Frost Garden Info From Alford's English Gardens. Learn More, Click Here
Mike & Kathie Kowal know Los Cerritos, Bixby Knolls, Cal Hts. and beyond. Click to learn more
Want An Energy-Saving Tankless Water Heater? DrainPros Will Install One For You. Info, Click Here
For Your 2007 Wedding & Special Events, Bill Lovelace Entertainment (Wedding Entertainment Planning A Specialty). Info, Click Here
Preserve Your Family's Most Precious Photos and Videos on DVD. Click For Info
Carter Wood Floors, a LB company, will restore your wood floor or install a new one. Enhance your home. Click pic.