(April 14, 2007) -- There were smiles and eager patrons outside ELB's Ruth Bach branch library (Bellflower Blvd. @ Carson St.) on April 14 as LB's Director of Library Services, Eleanore Schmidt, and 5th district Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske held a ribbon cutting marking restored hours at that branch...and others.
As previously reported by LBReport.com, starting April 14, three neighborhood libraries are now open five days a week as they were before previous Council-initiated budget cuts. The Council restored the library hours in its September 2006 budget vote. Now open Tuesday-Saturday:
- Bach Library, 4055 Bellflower Blvd., (additional day open is Saturday)
- Bay Shore Library, 195 Bay Shore Ave. (additional day open is Tuesday)
- Los Altos Library, 5614 E. Britton Dr. (additional day open is Thursday)
Two neighborhood libraries are open two more days a week (totaling six days a week Monday-Saturday):
- El Dorado Library, 2900 Studebaker Rd. (additional days open are Monday and Wednesday)
- Bret Harte Library, 1595 W. Willow St. (additional days open are Monday and Friday)
On Monday, Councilwoman Schipske is scheduled to be present at the El Dorado branch from noon to 1 p.m. for a small "punch and cookies " reception hosted by the Councilwoman and the LB Firefighter's Association.
And as of Monday April 16, the Main Library (101 Pacific Ave.) will reopen on Mondays...and will thus be open every day of the week.
Two previous increases to library hours took place in October 06 and February 07
Ruth Bach branch library patrons applauded...and streamed inside.