Joe Sopo, Realtor has his pulse On LB real estate. Click for info.
Become A Hero To LB Animals With A $20 Membership. Learn About Us, Click Here.
Saving Lives Thru Spay/Neuter & Education
Pollman's Insurance, Classic Or New, Car Or Home, When You Want It Insured, Call Us And Save! Click for info.
Ninos Ristorante: A delicious treasure in Bixby Knolls. Click here if you're hungry or for catering!
3853 Atlantic Ave.
How To Recall a LB Elected Official
City Council Agendas
Port of LB Agendas
Planning Comm'n Agendas
E-Mail Your Council member
Council District Map
LB Parks, Rec & Marine
LB Airport Watchdog
References & Archives
Lost, Found & Adoptable Pets
The Real Blue Steel
(August 12, 2005) -- We heard LB's Police Band "Blue Steel" at the Belmont Pier in July...and we reported, "They rock." This weekend, you can hear them yourself and help a good cause.
Blue Steel -- comprised of three LBPD officers, a civilian staffer and a PD volunteers -- will perform on Saturday, Aug. 13 starting at 9:00 p.m. at the Gaslamp Restaurant, 6251 E. PCH in LB, as part of a charity fundraiser to benefit the MaryPat Bamrick Adopt-A-Teacher Project.
Blue Steeler Sgt. David Cannan says the LB Jaycee Charitable Foundation is sponsoring the Adopt-A-Teacher program which "provides funds ($200.00 per teacher) to local area teachers for the classroom supplies that teachers usually have to pay for, out of their own pockets. Last year, the first year of the project, nineteen teachers were adopted and this year they are hoping to adopt twenty-two teachers."
Sgt. Cannan says Blue Steel will donate all tips received to the project...and the Gaslamp's owners "who both have backgrounds in teaching...are going to donate a portion of all drink sales to the project."
Sgt. Cannan adds, "Come in for a fantastic, mouth-watering dinner, then stay as the music fills the room from 9 p.m. to..."
(Photo right from Blue Steel web page, captioned as "A rare picture of the band not wearing makeup and Spandex.")
When we heard Blue Steel at a recent Belmont Pier event, they did a lengthy set that included Margaritaville, Pipeline, Surfin' USA, Feelin' Alright and more. They are truly talented; only four of the band's five members have had formal music training.
The band's members are:
- Sgt. David Cannan -- Keyboard. An officer for 25 years, he's worked patrol, vice, K-9, SWAT and motors among others). Yes, you recognize his name as one of PD's Public Information Officers. His email to us was too modest to mention he's one of those guys who have the talent to play multiple instruments. We watched as he played guitar on some songs...and sharp eyed LBReport.com readers may recall he was one of the two buglers sounding "Taps" at this May's annual PD-FD memorial ceremony.
- Jerome Braff - Police Service Assistant - Bass Guitar. Mr. Braff a five-year LBPD employee who's worked in community policing, community relations and is currently assigned to the east division patrol station.
- David Frazier - Police Corporal - Rhythm Guitar. With LBPD for 24 years, Cpl. Frazier has worked patrol, community policing, SWAT, the port security unit and is currently assigned to the East Division patrol station. (Sgt. Cannan adds: "David is humble and will not admit this, but he is one of the most decorated officers on the Department, having received every meritorious award the Department awards.")
- Martin Gilmore - Police Volunteer - Lead Guitar. Martin joined the band after another member exited due to marriage and family obligations. Sergeant Cannanís son was in a garage band with Martinís son and the kids introduced them to each other. Mr. Gilmore is long time LB resident who when not donating his time as a police volunteer works for Verizon.
- David Marander - Police Sergeant - Drums. During his 12 years as an officer he's worked patrol, media relations and is currently assigned to community relations. "David has the distinction as being the only member in the band who has had formal music training," Sgt. Cannan says.
Sgt. Cannan says Blue Steel was formed in January 1999 after the band members performed as back-up musicians at a Parks and Recreation youth talent contest. "The group enjoyed themselves so much, they decided to form this band and have been playing at events throughout the community ever since. The members all work their assigned duties and donate a lot of their own time to putting the music together. The community has also been very kind, donating funds for the sound equipment," Sgt. Cannan says.
They've performed at more than 300 events, including the Annual Belmont Shore Christmas Parade, the Annual Ice Dogs Police/Fire Night and numerous charity and community functions. Sgt. Cannan adds that their biggest compliment comes when kids approach and ask if they are really police officers.
Earlier in the day on Saturday Aug. 13 (11 a.m.-1 p.m.), Blue Steel will be playing as part of the LB Sea Festival's Great Sand Sculpture Contest (vicinity Ocean Boulevard/Granada Avenue).
Blue Steel has a snazzy website -- Blue Steel webpage -- and can be reached at email@example.com.
Return To Front Page
Contact us: mail@LBReport.com
DrainPros: Unclog Drains + Full Service Plumbing, Locally Owned Pros. Info, Click Here
Mike & Kathi Kowal know Los Cerritos, Bixby Knolls, Cal Hts. and beyond. Click to learn more
Wedding Entertainment Planning Is His Specialty. Bill Lovelace Delivers Personalized, Wedding Event Services. Get Info, Click Here
Carter Wood Floors, a LB company, will restore your wood floor or install a new one. Enhance your home. Click pic.
NetKontent Digital Video Cutting Edge Services For The Internet, Broadcast and Multimedia. Click For Info