LBPD Issues Public Information Bulletin Re String of Comm'l Burglaries w/ Add'l Details & Advice
(January 20, 2005) -- The Long Beach Police Dept. issued a Public Information Bulletin today regarding the series of commercial burglaries, first reported late last year by LBReport.com.
We post the Public Information Bulletin's text below:
From October of 2004 through mid-January 2005, the Long Beach Police Department has
responded to several commercial burglaries throughout the city, and would like community
members to immediately report any unusual or suspicious activity.
The suspect(s) typically breaks a window and enters the business taking cash from cash
registers or safes. The suspect(s) then flees the business. The majority of targeted businesses have been restaurants, but have also included retail stores.
The Long Beach Police Department would like to encourage business owners and employees to practice the following crime prevention tips, to help prevent from being a victim of burglary.
Keep all windows clear of advertising or display material, which could screen any intruder from outside view
- Trim trees and shrubs in front of windows and doors to eliminate hiding places
- Fully illuminate the outside at night (light is your best ally against crime!)
- Place all entrances under video surveillance and ensure equipment is in good working order
- Consider installing an alarm system (audible alarms may “scare off” intruders)
- Post signs indicating that the business is protected by an alarm system and/or surveillance equipment
- When closing your business, empty the cash register and leave it open with the empty drawer visible and don’t keep large amounts of cash at your business
- Anchor safes in concrete (floor safes are best)
- Contact the Community Relations Division at (562) 570-7215 for a free Crime Prevention Security Assessment of your property
Suspect Information -- suspect in [LBPD released] photo [below] is responsible for at least one of the burglaries, and is described as a male African-Amercan, 20 to 30 years of age, approximately 5’8 and 190 lbs.
It is believed that there are additional suspects responsible for the burglaries in this series. Descriptions include both male African-Americans and male Whites.
To leave a voicemail tip for detectives, please contact the Burglary Detail at (562) 570-7351. To report suspicious activity requiring immediate police attention, please contact the Long Beach Police Department’s Communications Center at (562) 435-6711 or 9-1-1.
Return To Front Page
Jan. 2005: LBPD Says 33 Comm'l Burglaries + 6 Safes Taken Since Late Oct. In "Window Smash" Crimes Affecting Several Parts of City
Dec. 2004: Comm'l Burglaries Hit Bixby Knolls Businesses Along Atlantic Ave.; Cops Ask Public To Advise Of Suspicious Nighttime Activity
Contact us: mail@LBReport.com