There Is No Good Excuse -- EVER! - For Abandoning A Dog Or CatReturn To Front Page
by Contributing Editor C. Miriam Yarden, B.Sc., MS, APDT
(March 19, 2009) -- There are many different and inventive excuses owners offer for abandoning their companions, whether in pounds, shelters, give them "free to good home" or turning them loose on the street (which is against the law) in the mistaken belief that they will find a home, or simply leaving them behind without food, water or notifying anyone to come and get them.
To understand how ridiculous and cruel these excuses are, let us substitute the word "child" for dog or cat. Suppose someone wanted to abandon or drop off a child - how reasonable would these excuses sound?
- He doesn't get along with our other children.
- This child pees on the rug.
- This child is vicious.
- I can't get any sleep - this child whines all night.
- My husband got a new job out of town and we are relocating to s smaller place and we won't have enough room for this child.
- He is a good looking boy - I'm sure he'll find another home.
- I didn't realize how expensive this child can be.
- This child refuses to take a bath.
- After careful consideration I decided that I'm really not ready for this child after all.
- My other kids have gone off to college and I never really wanted this child to begin with.
- My child tracks dirt into the house.
- This is not an outdoor child - he is always making noises at the window/door to come in and be with me.
- My new girlfriend/boyfriend doesn't like children.
- My child digs holes in the back yard.
AND THE MOST COMMON REASON FOR ABANDONING A COMPANION:
We are moving and the new place doesn't allow children.
PLEASE THINK HARD BEFORE ABANDONING A FAMILY MEMBER!
Ms. Yarden and LBReport.com welcome your comments in response to this perspective piece. email@example.com. Please include your name, your general part of town, and a telpehone number [not for publication] so we can reach you.
Ms. Yarden's LBReport.com Archives:
Keeping Tax Collector's Hands Off Our Pets
Animals Are Not For Suffocating Or Burning
Ensuring Effective Dog License Canvassing in LB
Christmas With Your Companions
The Other Side of Farm Animal Cruelty
The Coyote: Truths & Myths
Katrina, Now Gustav...And Thank God! We Have Learned Something!
A Toy For Every Animal
Foiling Thieves Who'd Steal Your Dog
What To Do, And Not Do, If Your Cat Is Freaked Out By The Quake
Driving With Your Dog
On CSULB's Unwelcome Coyotes & Formerly Welcome Feral Felines
Not Merely Birth Control: The Other Side of Spay & Neuter
Contact us: mail@LBReport.com
Now On StraightTalkTV.com
Mike Kowal: Broker
Excellence You Can Rely On
For Your 2008 Wedding & Special Events, Bill Lovelace Entertainment (Wedding Entertainment Planning A Specialty). Info, Click Here
Carter Wood Floors, a LB company, will restore your wood floor or install a new one. Enhance your home. Click pic.
Preserve Your Family's Most Precious Photos and Videos on DVD. Click For Info