CD 1/Zendejas Has Shooting Into Inhabited Dwelling, 1000 Block Pine Ave. (Roughly Three Blocks South Of Recent Double-Fatal
|(Aug. 10, 2021, 12:15 p.m.) -- LBPD confirms that in the midnight hour Aug. 9, someone fired shots into an inhabited building in the 1000 block of Pine Ave. ..and LBPD has a suspect in custody. The crime scene in the Willmore City Historic District is roughly three blocks south of an August 6 double fatal shooting. The area is in Councilman Mary Zendejas' First Council district (which leads all other LB Council districts in shootings (fatal + woundings + casings found) since Jan. 1, 2021.
LBPD Public Information Officer Brandon Fahey says that at roughly 12:22 a.m. officers responded to a shots call determined to be a shooting into an inhabited building.
The reporting party indicated he was sitting in his vehicle when he heard shots nearby and observed a man (adult) holding a firearm walking near the area. While on scene, officers located a man walking in the area and matching the reporting party's description and arrested him.
Officers seized a load firearm at the scene, and located evidence, including casings and strike marks, indicating a shooting had occurred.
The arrested suspect is a 20 year old LB resident booked on suspicion of shooting into an inhabited dwelling and discharging a firearm in a negligent manner. Bail was set at $250,000.
There's no motive immediately known for the shooting; LBPD's investigation continues.
Roughly twelve hours later in the noon hour, gunfire struck two unoccupied parked cars in the 100 block of E. Arbor St. near LB Blvd. (a bit north of the western end of Scherer Park. (LBREPORT.com coverage here.) On July 30 a male juvenile was shot/wounded inside Scherer Park near its dog park. Those areas are in Councilman Al Austin's 8th Council district.
As separately reported in a Perspective piece by LBREPORT.com, later today the Long Beach City Council will discuss the management/Mayor proposed FY 22 LBPD budget that, unless amended by a Council majority, won't restore any of roughly 230 budget-erased officers (including 48 defunded last year) for taxpayers.
On July 19, 2021, the City Council -- which sets LB police levels by its budget actions -- voted (8-0, Austin absent) to approve a Mayor/Management labeled "Safety Recovery Plan" tied in part to a Mayor/management proposed FY22 budget. The plan, sought by the Council following multiple shootings, doesn't restore any of the roughly 230 erased officers, leaving Long Beach without its former LBPD field anti-gang unit and with a thinner per capita officer level than Los Angeles, Santa Monica and Signal Hill. (Chart shows LB police level before Sept. 2020 defunding of 48 additional officers.)
Under the $8.6 million "Safety Recovery Plan" LB taxpayers will spend roughly $4 million for non-police items labeled "prevention" and supported by multiple public podium speakers (including some with ties to groups that stand to receive a share of the money.)
Several public speakers opposed spending sums in the plan that will maintain current police base staffing (depleted by responses to recent shootings) and urged reducing LBPD funding further. Some said Long Beach is over-policed and urged support for what organizers called a "Peoples Budget" that would reduce LBPD levels further.
No public speakers came to the podium to speak in support of maintaining or backfilling current police funding items.
To date, no Long Beach neighborhood group has adopted a voted resolution calling on the Council to restore 48 officers defunded by the Council's Sept. 2020 FY 21 budget vote.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Recommend LBREPORT.com to your Facebook friends:
Follow LBReport.com with:
Contact us: mail@LBReport.com