(May 14, 2006) -- Above are some of the 700 guns that LBPD plans to destroy, displayed at LBPD HQ.
Reasons for their destruction include previous use in a crime, no legal owner on file or owners' request that they be destroyed.
LBPD says the federal Dept. of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, ATF uses its "E-trace" system to trace each firearm to document when, where and who purchased it, tracking it until a police agency recovers it or it is destroyed.
LBPD established a Firearms Unit in December 2005 whose responsibilities include:
- Processing all weapons to be destroyed.
- Processing the return of stolen firearms to their legal owners.
- Handling all in-custody firearms related crimes, (except for those that are gang related).
- Interview all in-custodies involving gun cases.
- Investigate illegal and multiple sales of firearms.